Instructions to help you get ready for your first Zoom meeting:
- For better viewing, use a laptop, PC, or tablet, rather than your phone (although that does work too!).
- To download the Zoom app, click on the link that was provided for the meeting. You can do this any time after you have the meeting link.
- Follow the prompts to complete the download, then open the file that is downloaded and Zoom will install.
- You do NOT need to create an account to participate in a Zoom meeting so you can skip those prompts.
On the day of the meeting:
- 5-10 minutes prior to the meeting, click on the Zoom meeting link to join.
- If you downloaded Zoom just prior to your first meeting, you may be prompted to Join a Meeting. If a meeting id is required, simply refer back to your email and click the Zoom link again to enter the meeting. That way you do not need to enter a meeting ID.
- If you are participating in a small group, you will enter the meeting with your microphone and video set to ON. Make sure you are ready to be seen and heard by everyone in the meeting.
- If you are participating in a CPC prayer gathering, Sunday Community, or class, you will enter the meeting with your microphone on your MUTE and your video set to ON. Make sure you are ready to be seen by everyone in the meeting. When you’d like to contribute, you can unmute your microphone by clicking the Unmute button (microphone) in the bottom-left corner of the meeting window.
Helpful tips for a good meeting experience on Zoom:
- Choose the quietest place in your home or wherever you happen to be. Turn off anything making noise in the background.
- Level your device on a table and look into the camera so everyone has a good view of you.
- To minimize background noise, use MUTE when you’re not speaking if your group is larger than 6-8 people. Click the microphone in the lower left corner of your screen to toggle back and forth.
- Use only one device in a room on the same call or you’ll get feedback that everyone can hear.
- Sit with your back to a wall rather than a window (backlight makes it difficult to see you).
- Use headphones if others are nearby, and you don’t want to disturb them.
- Turn the VIDEO on and off by clicking the camera in the lower-left corner of your screen next to the microphone.
- In the upper right corner, you can toggle between Gallery View (all participants are visible) and Speaker View (speaker is primary).
Please be in touch with Deb Carlson (email@example.com) if you run into trouble or this seems daunting.