Growing in relationship with Jesus requires intentionality. We want to give you some resources—Bible studies and books, foundational verses, small groups lessons—to move forward in a purposeful way to know and love Jesus in deeper ways. We believe that there are six traits that really capture what it means to be a disciple of Jesus. This resource helps you develop these traits in yourself. It can be used both by small groups who want to grow together as disciples and by individuals who desire to nurture their relationship with Jesus on a personal level. Start with the intro lesson, then dig into the first trait and start working your way through all six!
Traits of a Disciple of Jesus
Our relationship begins when we accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior. Because our identity is so anchored in our relationship with Jesus, spiritual practices are important in connecting our hearts to Jesus’ heart. Dig In!
A disciple sees their sin and shortcomings and puts their trust in the life, death and resurrection of Jesus to make them right with God. By the grace of Christ, we are loved, accepted and stand before the Father as holy and blameless. Dig In!
A follower of Jesus becomes more dependent on Him as the Holy Spirit aligns our loves and longings to what God desires and wants. As we die to self and find life in Christ, we steadily become more like Him. Dig In!
We are called to gather in worship and live in authentic relationships with one another, to live out the 59 “one anothers” in the New Testament (eg. Love one another). Small groups, Circles, classes, and Sunday Communities are some examples of where we can connect in community. Dig In!
Being a disciple means we are continually helping others move towards greater joy and dependence in Christ. Dig In!
Our love for others is compelled by Christ’s love for us and what he did for us on the cross. The fruit of our dependence on Jesus is how we act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with our God. Dig In!
Intro: Anchoring Your Identity in Jesus
Start with the video below and this lesson whether you’re exploring this resource with your small group or on your own.
How To Use This Resource
- Discuss as a group whether you want to use this resource as a guiding framework. This resource can also be used by individuals who desire to nurture their relationship with Jesus on a personal level.
- Each trait includes a one-time lesson to get you started. Some of the lessons incorporate video teaching along with discussion questions that can be covered in one meeting.
- Meditating on foundational verses for each trait help us hook into the promises of God.
- Explore the other resources together as a group as well as those intended for your own personal use.
- TouchPoint questions help your group have some conversation about how you’re growing together in each of the character traits. Use these questions before, during and/or after working through some of the resources.